How we’re ensuring the Lancashire and South Cumbria New Hospital Programme benefits everyone
We’re following a clear process which gives everyone the opportunity to have their say and help shape the future of hospital care in the region.
1. Understand why changes to our hospitals are needed
Our Case for Change has been developed in collaboration with experts: our clinicians, staff, patients, key stakeholders and representatives of local communities we serve.
Read our Case for Change report and find out how you can get involved.
2. Develop longlist of proposals for new hospital facilities, including why, how and where changes might take place
We heard from patients, local people, NHS staff and community groups at events, focus groups and workshops, and through surveys, online discussions and market research.
Read more about the longlist of proposals.
3. Create a shortlist of proposals for new hospital facilities, narrowing the proposals down to those which are workable, and submitting to NHS England
The public, patients, clinicians and other health experts continue to provide input and feedback to help this process.
Read more about our shortlist of proposals.
Read our latest update on recommendations for new hospitals in new locations for Royal Preston Hospital and Royal Lancaster Infirmary and alternative options.
4. Public consultation, if required
Public engagement will take place at every stage of the process - if consultation is also required, it would be made up of Covid-secure public events and digital questionnaires, conversations with community groups and local people.
5. Submit proposals for new hospital facilities
The agreed way forward will consider all information gathered, including concerns and ideas shared.
6. Help us create the new facilities
The public will help shape the look, feel, design and facilities within the new buildings through workshops and focus groups.
7. The aim is to open new hospital facilities by 2030
Helping local people live longer, healthier lives.
Keep up-to-date on all the latest updates
Receive news about the New Hospitals Programme direct to your inbox.
Find out more on our Information hub
We have lots more details on the project in our Information hub. Read frequently asked questions, the latest news about the programme and stories from people in the region.